The Emergency Preparedness fair is scheduled for Saturday, March 3rd from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at SWMC’s Centennial Conference room. This is an educational event that is free and open to the community. The purpose is to assist families and communities with strategies to be safe, self-sufficient, and prepared in the event of a disaster, which can reduce the risk of serious injury and make recovery faster and easier. It will be presented by senior OU College of Nursing students and SWMC team members. Fourteen teaching stations will be set up in the Centennial room with each one covering different topics related to emergency preparedness. Representatives from the Comanche County Emergency Management team, along with the Lawton Fire and Police Departments will be on site for the fair.
Topics for the Emergency Preparedness fair:
- Emergency Disaster Kits/Home First Aid Kits
- Getting Your Children Ready for an Emergency
- Making a Family Emergency Plan
- Food and Water Safety, Clean Air Safety (Nose/Mouth Protection)
- Emergency Plan for Pets
- Role of the Red Cross
- Role of Police and Fire Department
- Comanche County Community Disaster Plan. Where are the shelters?
- Role of Hospitals—What happens when you come to the hospital—SWMC’s Disaster Team
- Preparing for Specific Disasters that May Occur in SW Oklahoma—tornado, high winds, fires, ice storms
- Role of EMS and Air Evac Life-Team
- Role of FEMA
About Southwestern Medical Center
Southwestern Medical Center, a member of Capella Healthcare’s family of hospitals, is a 199-bed hospital serving Comanche County and SW Oklahoma. Since 1957, SWMC has been accredited by Joint Commission. TheNeuroscienceCenteris the first and only accredited Stroke Program inSW Oklahomaby Joint Commission. SouthwesternRegionalCancerCenterwas the first inSW Oklahomaaccredited by the Commission on Cancer. SWMC is also accredited by CARF for rehabilitation services. Southwestern Medical Center has been serving the community for more than 100 years with quality care and the latest technology. For more information, please visit www.swmconline.com.